1. With your group, create a flow map of the events of your novel so far. If possible, include dates and important places with your significant events—this should be a detailed timeline of your novel so far.
2. Each person should choose the single most important WORD from the reading completed for class today. Share your word and explain your choice with your group.
3. Each person should choose the single most important EVENT. Share your word and explain your choice with your group.
4. Each person should choose the single most important PASSAGE. Share your passage and be prepared to explain your choice.
5. If you’re reading Butterflies, Fallen Angels, or Weight of All Things, consider how aspects of culture affect your reading and understanding of the novel. Remember that culture can also mean the culture of war. What elements of culture have you seen present in the novel so far?
6. If you’re reading Slaughterhouse, consider how Vonnegut has utilized a nonlinear narrative format in this novel. What effect does the nonlinear format have on the book and its message? In other words, what does Vonnegut gain by telling the story in this way? Why did he choose to write that way?
8 years ago